Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Rusty Things

I am not yet riding. My injury is improving, but I still have a lot of pain when trying to grip or squeeze.
My bicycle has a few rusty spots... mostly allen bolts that will hold any moisture. It doesn't help, I suppose, that I store my bicycle outside. Lately, I have found that rust can add value to an object. Maybe not my bicycle, but other things. I have been selling some rusty bed springs that I found while on a hike with Lisa a couple of weeks ago. I dragged the mattress skeleton out of a nearby canyon and separated the springs to photograph and list on eBay. As crazy as it sounds, I have sold more than a dozen RUSTY BED SPRINGS for between $1.50 and $2.00 each. And I am shipping 2 to Europe! I think the term is up-cycle... or re-purpose... anyway the people purchasing these rusted treasures are making something with them. I will be on the look out now, whether riding or hiking, for rusty things.

No comments: